NOTICE:

This blog is about raising awareness about a Hate Group called One Million Moms. This is NOT a blog by One Million Moms! If you are posting here trying to contact them, they will not see it!
You WILL see their letters and posts here, as a way to make people aware of their agenda, NOT as a way to support their actions or beliefs!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Emailing DC. Comics, Marvel & Disney

Okay, so when I heard that DC Comics were going to have a same sex superhero couple get married I KNEW OMM was going to have a hissy fit! So when I got the email today I was far from surprised. Personally, I've been a reader since I was a child! I mean, maybe it's just me, but is there really anyone cooler than Batman? Yeah, I don't think so! And seriously, anyone who's been reading comics as long as I have already knew there were homosexuals in their ranks... And don't get me started on the rather uneven Gay to Straight ratio at just about ANY Comi-Con...  So yeah, this idea that DC showing support for the LGBT community is somehow offensive to the majority of their readers completely blows my mind!

Anyways, here, as always, is a copy of the letter OMM is attempting to harass DC and Disney with - Please try to keep your laughter to a minimum, I think she's serious!
As a parent and a member of OneMillionMoms.com, I am extremely disappointed that you would use a children's superhero character to help endorse same-sex marriage and glorify the homosexual lifestyle. It is disgusting that your company would participate in introducing sexual orientation to children when they are not equipped to understand what sexual preferences involve.

Unfortunately, children are now being exposed to same-sex marriage and the gay lifestyle choice in your comic books. Gay adults do not need superheroes as role models. Your company is damaging impressionable young minds by placing these gay characters on pedestals in a positive light. As a Christian, I know that homosexuality is a sin. The Bible states this clearly in Romans 1:26-27.

A comic book is the last place a parent would expect to be confronted with questions from their children on topics that are too complicated for them to understand. Issues of this nature are being introduced too early and too soon, which is extremely unnecessary.

Please do the right thing and reverse your decision to have sexual orientation displayed to young readers. My decision to support your company and parent company depends on it.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding my concern.
Seriously, this is one of the WORST letters I've seen from them. And honestly, I could easily pick apart nearly every sentience of this letter, but then we would be here all night.  So, I'm going to skip that part and go right in to sharing my own email!  Here's what I sent in, in place of that malarkey!
As a parent and a life long reader of your comics! I can not possibly express the level of excitement I have in me when it comes to your most recent comic book! Superheros have long been the role models of children (young and old) and your choice to not only show support for the LGBT community, but to support marriage equality can only encourage future generations to embrace equality for all!

Additionally, your choice to portray homosexuality as "normal" and "accepted" in the superhero world will go a long way to help those children in same sex families feel more secure and proud of their own families. Many of these children face ridicule and bullying over their families makeup and need the support of their heroes to help them understand the issue is NOT with them or their family, but with those who are making them a target. It also may help those targeting them to be more accepting, which is a huge step forward!

But ultimately, the best part is that children and teens struggling with their own sexuality will now have a hero (or a hero couple) all their own. We have long been a society where we tailor our heroes, characters and even toys to reflect the personality and appearance of the children or families purchasing them. It's about time homosexual, bisexual and transsexual persons were given the same as everyone else!

Comic books have long been an escape for the "different" kids and teens, a place where they can be all they want to be and a place where they can be powerful. FINALLY, you are giving that same power to those kids who are struggling with sexuality related issues - be those issues related to their own sexuality, that of their loved ones or even teachings of their family, friends or religion against an LGBT lifestyle.

I am proud to say that I am, and have been for many years, a reader of your comics! As a child and a teen I was one of those "lost" kids who needed to escape life. I found solace in fantasizing about a world where justice was a reality and where I could be a powerful hero-woman! I only wish I had had such support when facing my own sexuality!

I do, however, understand that you have most recently become a target of a Hate Group which is trying to harass you in to removing the subject of sexuality from your latest issue. I beg of you to continue to support the LGBT community, and marriage equality. Your readers - young and old - deserve it!

I look forward to hearing from you regarding my concern.
As always I encourage all of you to send in your own emails, letters and phone calls in order to show support for this company and their support of  equality and the LGBT community! Unfortunately OMM has not provided any contact information for Disney or DC. So if you wish to do this you will either need to find such contact information or go through OMM's email system (as I have done) to do so. If, and when, I get my hands on such contact information I will share it here, but until then, their system does forward properly so there is no harm in using it!

2 comments:

  1. I claim Marvel, DC & Archie comics for the glory of the Jewish, Christian GOD.
    I asked that the writers, editors and artist be filled with the holy spirit of the living GOD that they may write and draw stories to inspire, and compel comic fans to live good, decent, honorable, healthy and non-violent lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful picture! Thanks for posting it! I'm so glad that so many forms of media are embracing the right of every person to love who they want!!

    ReplyDelete